>Tuesday, April 20th, Chris and I headed to a routine doctor’s appointment for Emma at 8:30am. I was 3 days past my due date and desperate for some kind of sign that the time was getting close. When I woke up that morning…I felt different. It’s hard to explain, but I could tell that maybe something was finally going to happen soon.
At my appointment I was 2cm dialated and my doctor said she could tell that things were happening, but we were still looking to set up an induction date for a few days later because they didn’t want me going too far past my due date.
So we left the doctor’s office and they told me to schedule a stress test at the hospital since I was past my due date. So I made the appointment for 11am that same day. 
Chris and I then headed over to Border’s bookstore to grab a drink and that’s when things hit BIG time! I realized that I could hardly even walk around the bookstore because I was in SO much pain! I was like…okay..this is crazy..what in the world is going on.
I was extremely happy that I was already going to the hospital for my stress appointment in just a short time so that they could tell me if I was going into labor.

We headed to my stress appointment and my contractions continued to become stronger and closer together. The person that did my stress test could see that I was having contractions on the monitor, but they weren’t ready to admit me…although I KNEW that I was going to be headed back to the hospital that same day.

After the appointment Chris and I went to Chicago’s pizza to get something for lunch. It was the most miserable lunch I ever had! I probably looked like a crazy person because I was sitting there trying to eat my lunch while breathing through contractions and making all kinds of strained faces lol. Poor Chris. We were timing my contractions at the table and they were 2 to 3 minutes apart the entire time.

We went home after lunch and we weren’t quite sure what to do. Do I go back to the hospital or labor at home for a while? After about 45 minutes at home running around like a crazy person trying to deal with lots of painful contractions, I  said Chris, it’s time to go now. My dog Kira didn’t know what to do. She just kept following me around all concerned. It was pretty funny.

So we got the the hospital and they checked me and in just the 2 hours from the stress test appointment until then, I had progressed to 4cm and was admitted to the hospital! What a sigh of relief I had. I was so happy that labor started on its own and that this was really happening.

The beginning contractions were manageable when I breathed through them and really stayed focused, but by 6cm, I had enough and HAD to get the epidural. The pain and pressure was so intense that I just couldn’t take any more. 
I was proud of myself for laboring the 9 or 10 hours that I did without anything. At 6cm they gave me the epidural and broke my water. It was the best decision I could have ever made. Labor was smooth sailing from then on out. I didn’t feel a thing. After about 30 minutes of pushing, little Emma was finally born! She arrived at 12:13 am on April 21st. 

 After getting the epidural. Def. a happy girl

Daddy and Emma

Finally leaving the hospital. I was so happy I cried. We were given the option to stay 48 hours, but I was ready to go after the 36 that we stayed. 
We had some wonderful nurses taking care of us and I have to say that my first pregnancy, labor, and delivery all went very well and it’s an experience I will never ever forget. I honestly feel like a changed women.
More on all of that later :)

You Should Also Check Out This Post:

More Active Posts: